Monday, November 1, 2010

Klang Run4It

This is one race that I would wanna do every year. The organization is nothing to shout about & I've seen races with better traffic control & security. But since the race venue is the place where I grew up.. & the race course goes through where I used to live, I've made it a point to do this race every year, as long as it goes through the same course. The fact that the course is the same every year (like Larian Bomba) makes it a good race to gauge your improvements year in year out. This race is also my 10th race of the year & I've still got a couple to do.

I went out early but even then I got to the start just 15 mins earlier. I had to stop for gas as I forgot to fill up the day before. But all is well & I went looking for Azam but he was nowhere to be found. I managed to catch up with him about 2km into the race.

The race goes through the very same route I took to ride home from school in 1989, thts 21 years ago... can U believe that ? The road was pretty much the same, but the surrounding areas is much more developed now. Taman Sri Andalas now in far more developed than it was some 20 years ago & that's a good sign.

I'd set a target to better my last year's time of 1:14 & I set my Polar for a 5:30-6:00 pace zone. I started off pretty fast & got a 28mins first 5K. However I started to suffer from stitches again at KM7. Normally breathing heavily in & out would make it go away, but even after a few mins of heavy breathing it didn't go away. This is the 2nd time in a race I gt stitches & I dunno why. I stopped for water at the 2nd water station & almost immediately it went away. Hmm...

Becoz of the stitches I couldn't follow Azam, but after the last turn & with about 3K to go I was feeling much better & began to push for the finish. At the finish I clocked 1:12:10, with a 30min second 5K. I'd done 59 mins for the 10K. I guess I could've done better but with a 5:58 average & 2 mins off my previous best, I guess I've achieved my race objectives. & with 2 days sick leave, a tooth extraction, & 2 days outstation, which has left me with no running at all in the week before the race, I guess I couldn't ask for more.

I'm now making plans for Penang & I guess I'm not gonna do any tapering, maybe a short one. I still have to do another LSD this week, preferably 20K before beginning my taper the week after that. Until then, Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment