Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week in, week out

SCKLM 2011

2 weeks ago I ran my 2nd half mara of 2011, despite a less than ideal build up & very minimal training. Reason being, I was still hampered by injury. Plantar fasciitis & also shin splints. The shin splints was showing some signs of recovering though. Despite all that, I chose to go ahead & run SCKLM. I didn't run the race last year & this year I've actually made it my target event.

The day before the race, I went for a picnic with my colleagues to Sg Tekala. It was my 1st time there. Maybe it was a mistake. I took a dip in the very cold river (not ice-cold, but very the cold nonetheless). I felt fine after that, & even slept for almost 2 hours there ! I just tried to rest as much as I can. When I went to bed that nite everything was fine.

But when I woke up at about 4:30 Sunday morning, I felt stiff. I had a slight temperature to add to my list of injury. It didn't feel all that bad before the race, but it got worse as the race progresses.

Overall I felt really bad. I couldn't push the pace. I was scrambling for isotonic drink at every water station, with the hope of getting some sort of relief. But it wasn't to be & I felt really bad. About 30 mins into the race there was drips of rain, but it stopped after that. With my condition that day, rain would've been disastrous.

The route was great. Great for breaking records or doing PBs. It was flat, especially the stretch in Cheras. As with any event of this magnitude, it was well-supported. Water stations was good. There was even a small tunnel with cold drips of water to cool the runners. But I was feeling really, really bad. Just another bad day at the office I guess.

I finished the race in 2:18, my 3rd worse time in half mara. I thought I could emulate Penang, but I just couldn't. As soon as I got home I crashed & slept.. I haven't felt this way for a long time. Hopefully things will get better, soon.

Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment