Sunday, May 10, 2009

My first 10K

Today, May 10th, 2009, I've completed my first ever 10K race, right in the middle of KL. I've never thought I'd be able to do this just a couple of months ago.. I've completed the Larian Bomba 2009 in 1:04.37. Not a bad time for a first timer, good enuff for a certificate. Good for a start la.

I'm not gonna get competitive in this sport. Not now. I'm just running for fitness, for fun & I enter these races just to measure myself against others. Even if I dun enter the races, I'd still be running on weekends anyway. So why not join the races, get some goodies, get to know new friends, meet some old ones, & have fun along the way ?

First of all, I was late. I got to the start at 7.00 am, the race was to be flagged off at 7:30. Although Dataran Merdeka was just about 40km from my house, I guess my inexperience play a big part. I got to Dataran, was lucky to find a parking space, & I saw there was already a lot of ppl there. This wasn't my first experience in sport, I've been a state & national-level cyclist before. But the atmosphere was different. & there was definitely more ppl than U would see in any cycling event. There was about 4000+ runners registered. In cycling U would be lucky if U could find 100 ppl. 

So, I put on my shoes, racing gear & rushed to report in. In my haste, I forgot to bring any water to the start, something I need to address in the next race. My wife acted as my support crew today. But as this was my first event, she didn't know what to do. Well, I'ma have at least another 3 events in the next 2 months. We'll get the experience.

I maintained a steady pace thruout. I've never run the route before, but to my relief it wasn't that hard, or hilly. There was of course steady climbs along the way. But, thinking back, I might have been a little bit conservative in my run. I was scared that I couldn't maintain the pace. But I was glad to finally have made it, & got a certificate to signify that I finished within the time limits. 

It has been a great learning experience. Looking forward to my next race on the 17th, the New Balance Pacesetters 15K. 

Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment