Friday, June 4, 2010

Preparing for Setia Alam Half Marathon..

Tomorrow I'ma race in the Setia Alam Half Marathon, on a Saturday, & it's gonna be my first daytime half marathon this year, after Putrajaya Nite Marathon & Energizer Nite Run. Having a race on a Saturday will also give time for me to recover on Monday, which is good actually. Had the race been held on a Sunday, I would only have the rest of Sunday to recover.. but I guess, after having run in 3 half marathons this year, things would improve for me, in terms of my recovery.

I ran in Setia Alam last year, in the 11K category, where I finished in the top 100. The course was generally flat, except for some overhead bridges that we have to go through to cross the road. & we'll have to do around 3 laps I think, judging from last year.

A flat course & a target time of 2:10, 15 mins off my previous best. That means I'ma have to run 6:10 average for 21km... doable ? I dunno la. With the amount of training I've been doing, I hope I can beat my PR. Before Putrajaya Nite Mara, I've never ever ran more than 13K. Before the Energizer Nite Run, my farthest training run was 16K. Now I've done at least 3 long runs during the past 3 weekends, each run was at least 18K. So I guess I'm better prepared for this race. My runningmates, Azam & Shahwan was targeting sub-2hr times, I dunno if I can do that.. heck.. before Putrajaya I didn't know I can run 21K either.. so I'll take this challenge head on.

I'ma try & go to bed early tonite, I've to leave home before 6 am tomorrow, to avoid getting stuck in traffic. I reckon since I'ma ride my bike to the start, I shud be able to park pretty close to the start & not having to take the shuttle bus. My wife won't be coming along as well, so I better have enuff strength to ride back home after I finished.

Looks like I'ma use my new Newtons for this race. I dun have any problems with my Adizero, I tested it on Wednesday & didn't have any problems with it. Maybe it's easier to switch from Newtons to normal shoes than having to do vice versa. I reckon the Newtons are light enuff for tomorrow. Cushioning won't be an issue, Newtons are well-cushioned enuff. I've just bought a new Nike racing tops last week, bright fire engine red color. But most likely I'll be using my other Nike tops, the blue-green/yellow ones, becoz it goes well with the shoes. I'll keep the red ones for Pesta Sukan Perbendaharaan (PSP).

I thought Setia Alam were to be my last half marathon before puasa month, but last nite I came across an ad for the Seremban Half Marathon. I might be doing that one, on July 11th, a week before Pesta Sukan MOF (PSKK). I'ma miss the KL Marathon becoz of my participation in PSP. & I'ma miss the Siemens Run as well becoz of PSKK. So I guess I'ma do the Seremban Half & Men's Health Shape run on 31/7, my last race before puasa.

After Setia Alam, I'ma focus on my 10,000m in PSP & PSKK. I wanna go below 57 mins. So I'ma focus on building up speed for the event. I dun think endurance is gonna be a problem. The problem now is I'm lacking speed. I'ma spend more time at the gym, perhaps going back to twice a week. Of course do a lot more speedwork & intervals. It's just for 3 weeks.

Goodluck. Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment