Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Anger Management

It's really interesting what anger can do for U. It can destroy ppl, start wars, destroy things... but if used correctly, it can boost performance, make U do things U never thought possible, & in some cases, turn U to the dark side & become a certain Emperor's apprentice...

Take yesterday for example. I'd planned to do a long run (not tht long la, 10K only). But by 4.30 pm I was feeling really tired.. maybe tired from the tough workout in the gym the day before. So tired that I closed the door to my room & took a nap. When I woke up about half hour later, I ate some snacks while considering my options for the day... do I go out & run or just go home ? Or do I still go out (since the weather was okay) & just do an easy run ?

Then something happened. I did something I shouldn't have done, at about 5:30pm, & as a result, it triggered my anger switch. I was just so upset by that, it actually helped me decide.

So I went out late, about 6.00 & did 3 laps instead of 2, finished the 10.32K suffering like a sick, angry dog. I haven't done any run longer than 7K for the past 3 weeks or so. Fueled by my rage, the 10K felt like a blur to me.

I kept replaying scenes from Star Wars.... all six of them, in my mind. How Anakin went from being a good boy to a Jedi apprentice, to a Sith Lord just becoz he was angry. Yoda told him,"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." (Attack of The Clones). I guess he was right after all. Do not live with hatred in Ur heart. U'll suffer silently. I feel Ur anger.. release Ur anger.. & take Ur place by my side (Return of the Jedi).

It wasn't the first time I used my anger to fuel an out-of-this-world performance, but this is a very rare occasion. It's also quite rare for me to get this angry about something, despite my character & what ppl perceive me to be. I dun get angry easily.

But the thing is, I wouldn't wanna get that angry about something. Anyway, the good thing is that my feeling is clear about certain things now. I know what to do, or rather, what I should've done much earlier.

I'm ok now. I guess.

Winning...

I wonder if winning a small event, with less than an average quality field, takes away the satisfaction of winning ? How does one compare ? Winning a small event with only 11 ppl competing, by a margin of more than 10 mins, or getting a 100th placing in a field of 3000+, or setting a PR in a rain-soaked half marathon ?

Well, I guess a win is a win. I did all I could so that my victory wouldn't look like a 3rd grade victory. I made sure I got a huge victory margin, made sure my average pace was of a high standard, etc.

A win is a win.

Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment