Friday, March 4, 2011

Training revisited

Beginning February I've started my half marathon training, with the target being going below 2hrs & the targetted race is 2011 Energizer Nite Race which will be held in .. or shud I say, around the Sepang F1 circuit. Although after a couple of years racing, the ideal course to target a personal best is Setia Alam, I was cautious about having that as a target event. Why ? Becoz as of today, no date has been set for that race. Although traditionally, it's always been around April or May. But then again, once I reached the peak of my training, which shud be around mid April, I'd reckon that I can hold that form for about 2 months. Hopefully I can do exactly that. If that happens, then I can still target Setia Alam, which has grown to become my favorite hunting ground so far.

I'm now into the end of the 4th week of the program, which takes 10 weeks to complete. The issue is dividing between running & weights. I'm also into Week 4 of my weight training program, which is divided into 2 phases of 4 weeks each. After the end of the 4th week, I'll take a week's break from lifting. Currently my program is being laid out like this:

Monday : Intervals
Tuesday : Rest
Wednesday : Weights
Thursday : Tempo run
Friday : weights
Saturday : Long
Sunday : rest

After a month I found that my rest days are too close together & by Friday I've become really tired from all the weights & road pounding. Also, having to run tempo immediately after a very intense weight session is taking it's toll on my body. Yesterday I was supposed to run 25 mins tempo at 10K goal pace. While I was able to complete 25 mins, the pace was nowhere near my 10K goal pace. Why ? Becoz I felt really stiff in my lowerback & legs.. result of almost 200lbs of deadlifts, split squats & also reverse lunges I did the day before. So after the very frustrating run yesterday, I began to rethink my program layout. This is what I've come out with :

Monday : Weights
Tuesday : Intervals
Wednesday : Rest
Thursday : Tempo run
Friday : weights
Saturday : Long
Sunday : rest

So the changes is on Monday & Tuesday. Although I still have to do the intervals after the weights on Monday, I think it's better this way. Becoz now my program is spread out 2-1-3-1, with the rest days more evenly spread out throughout the week. Intervals are mostly short sprints or mile-repeats at most, so stiff muscles shudn't be a problem. But still, I'ma test it out beginning next week & hopefully this will yield a better result.

I did my Polar VO2 max test last week & I'm still in my 58s, which is good. & the weights I'm lifting, is the heaviest I've ever lifted, thanks to a better understanding of breathing technique & a better form. Nevertheless, I'd welcome the week's break from lifting, to give my body time to develop & grow.

Good luck & Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment