Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dealing with injury

Here we go again. I've got a week to go before my target race, the Standard Chartered KL Marathon.. & now I'm down with shin splints so bad that just to squat in the toilet is a challenge for me. Now I've to find a way to train for the half marathon, with a target time of sub-2 hour, without running. I'm not quite sure where I am now in terms of fitness, I haven't done a long run for 2 months already. Why ?

Well, first, some background. After PSP, I was down with plantar fasciitis that I decided to take a week off. But everybody knows that my week off isn't exacly "off". As long as my other limbs are moving, I will do some training of any sort, just to keep things moving. If I can't run then I'll swim, bike or lift weights. If I can't do all three then there's something really wrong with me or my body. That means I'm really down. Okay, after I decided that my plantar fasciitis was okay, I began to run, just to accumulate mileage so that 21km won't come as a shock. But I guess at my level now, I know I can finish 21km, the question is how fast ? So I did lotsa 10km tempos, race-sims, etc. But then my shins started to give me problems.

For me, the shin splints comes & go. It never really did go away. I'm very much puzzled why is it so. Shin splints normally happens to very heavy runners, those with less than efficient stride or those who run with shoes with bad cushioning. I dun belong to any of those categories, albeit, I might be a little on the heavy side. I ran PACM 15K without any problems, & managed to clock a respectable time, despite my taking it somewhat easy. & 2 days ago I did a great 10K tempo without so much of hint that I had shin splints. But on Friday, on an easy run, it hurt so much that I had to walk the rest of the way. Why ?

& yesterday I was supposed to do a 2hr LSD, my last prep for SCKLM. I had to call it off after 4km, & had to walk back. I was wearing my compression tights & to have that kinda injury even with compression wear on, that's serious. The first person I called once I got back to my bike was my friend Hardy, a physio who works with MSN. Unfortunately he was on his way to Singapore, so I had to wait for him to come back next week. I really need an expert opinion, I'm scared that the injury might be more severe than I thought. Worse, a fracture.

So now I have to resort to riding my stationary bike, go swimming & lift weights. Or all three at once. Hopefully it'll heal before Sunday. Last year it was the same situation before Putrajaya Night Marathon. Let's hope I can come away unscathed from this one.

Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment