Monday, March 28, 2016

Race review : RCBB 15km - running on one leg

This is another race in which I bought the bib from Rudy. He recently moved up to the ultra distance, so he was selling all his short-distance races registrations. I've got a couple more bibs from him, for upcoming races in April.

Racepack collection




Racepack collection was at Key Power's Kiara Plaza branch. I went there right after the Makswip track selection & it was our first time there. The racepack was quite generous, providing participants with both vest & finishers-T (for 15km participants). I tried to have the size changed to M from S, but the organizers were having none of it. I tried the vest (Newton) & of course it was too small. So I had to pass it to Rudy then. There was no electronic timing for this race. Other than that there was nothing else in the pack. 

Pre-race

On Tuesday, 5 days before the race I did kilo repeats, I always do intervals on Tuesday. I did 6 reps & on the 5th rep began to experience tightness on the right calf, my vulnerable spot. But I still finished the workout without it becoming worse & I was able to continue with my basketball game afterwards. On Thursday I had to take an emergency leave becoz Imran Haris was having a slight fever. So I went for a run at home, the plan was for an-8km tempo, to prepare for this race. As soon as I start running the right calf started to tighten, but I carried on with my warm up & stretching, hoping for it to go away. But as soon I started the tempo, it became more painful. I stopped running after 4km. 

I've had this injury on my right gastrocnemueus, right at the point where it becomes Achilles tendon. It was a recurring injury & no matter what I do, it just won't go away. This year I've warmed up more diligently, stretching before & after, making sure I stretch that part. Still, it comes back. 

So I took a rest on Friday, no running I mean, but I still went to the gym. After the Thursday session I immediately put ice on the calf & continued right until Saturday. On Saturday evening I tried to run, just to see how it feel & if it's possible for me to even start the race. It still felt painful. After considering other options, I decided to tape the calf & still start the race. 



Start line

As soon as I got up at about 5:15 am on Sunday, I stood up & it was still painful, but tolerable. I went off before the Subuh azan as I wanted to perform my Subuh prayers at the Damansara Petronas, my usual pitstop for a race starting at Padang Merbok. To my surprise, the Petronas have closed down. That's put me in a fix, becoz AFAIK there was no other place from there until Padang Merbok. As soon as I got to the start there was still not that many people around, it was about 6:15 am. Then I saw several pargolas across the road, near the fountain. So I performed my subuh there. 

Right after that I started my warm up. Surprisingly my legs felt runable. Still painful & tight, but tolerable. I took another Hammer Espresso gel right before the start & off I went. 

The race

This course is another new course for me. The thing is, in this part of KL, the Lake Gardens, there was so many course to chose from. This course (for the 15km) runs up to the KL Courts Complex in Jln Duta. I was okay on the flats, but when the road goes up, I had to run with a limp. I can't really put pressure on the right leg as I don't wanna risk aggravating the already fragile leg. I was basically running on one leg. 

Right after the old government office opposite Masjid Wilayah I saw a familiar face running: abg Fuad. He asked my why was I running so slow. I just smiled & said that I was injured. He said no wonder he saw me running with a limp. It was good to see him. 

I was taking the race one water stop at a time. I've told myself if the calf becomes to painful, I would stop at the next water station. At the last water station with less than 4km to go, I was able to put some pressure on the leg. The taping really helped I guess. I hit the line at 1:32, a respectable time, considering I was running on one leg.   

Post race

The race was under-distanced, but not by a lot. & the time I posted was quite surprising. I wonder what kinda time I could've pulled off if I was 100% fit. The organizer did a good job, but traffic management could've been better. There was some confusing route directions, especially after the KL Court Complex coz the racers went back the same way we came in. Other than that, there were both Lucozade & 100 Plus at the water stations, I guess both came from the same distributor.

I received the 2XU finishers-T, & surprisingly the size S tshirt fits me just fine! Sorry Rudy..

They gave us a bottle of Lucozade & Herbal tea at the end, another good thing. One thing that was missing was the Milo van. I limped back to my bike & after a short breather & changed to dry clothes, I went home. 




Ratings
Route (Challenging, unique) : 5/5
Organizer (Overall organization of race) : 4/5
Runners welfare (Water station, pre & post race facilities) : 4/5
Goodie bag (Content) : 5/5
Race tee (Quality, aesthetics) : 4.5/5
Medal (Quality, aesthetics) : 4.5/5
My performance (execution of race plan, finishing time) : 4.5/5 (considering my injury)

Livestrong, run stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment