Friday, March 4, 2016

Race review : Shamrock Run 2016


There is no prizes being offered for the running event as it is a leisurely running event with friends and family
However there are generous prizes for best-dressed runners which embodies the spirit of the Shamrock and the Irish Malaysian culture

I really can't remember how I missed the statement above in the race's website. I only realized it after I paid & viewed the racepack collection page. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Racepack collection





The race was held at Taman Botani Putrajaya. I can't think of other events that used this route or started in there. The racepack was quite okay, with a neon green shirt by 2ndSkins. There was a few supplements sampler from Appeton & the bib. There was no electronic timing, as expected for a non-competitive race. I went to collect my racepack after the Friday prayers & I was the only one there. 

Pre-race

I decided to drive to the start as I'ma have to play in a basketball tournament straightaway after the race. I left home right after the subuh prayers & I got to the start quite early. Early enuff that I can park quite close to the starting point. I didn't think anybody would double park bcoz it was a main road. I was wrong.

I started my warm up & stretching, but I didn't quite feel as light as before. Proly the effects of the previous day's weight session. But I was pretty tired. & I didn't want to push too much to save myself for the basketball games afterwards. I had a couple of Choki2 as breakfast.

Start line

There wasn't that many people at the start & the atmosphere was relaxed. The starting point was at a slight downhill & there was no barrier on the sides. 

The race

As the entire course was ran inside the Taman Botani, the surface was concrete with pebbles sticking out of the surface. That gave us a nice accupuncture treatment...hahah. I decided to use my Wave Hitogami race shoes although I was starting to move back to Newton MV2. & I was glad I made that choice. I would've been in trouble if I'd worn the Newtons. 

We hit our 1st climb at KM4 & what a climb it was! I didn't know there was such climb inside Taman Botani. It was long & gradual. At KM6 there was another long climb & I was really struggling at that time. We would go through another couple of climbs before we get to the finish. I was running off the front as I wanted to finish early so that I could leave early. But the climbs was hard, even for me. There wasn't that much flats as the route was rolling up & down. 

By the time we hit the last climb I knew this race would be under-distance. It was only 8.56km & I hit the line at 49 mins. 

Post race

There was the obligatory Milo van but I decided to skip it bcoz the line was too long. They were handing out Guinness Malta at the end but I didn't take it. I went back to my car only to find out it was blocked. So I had time to change & do my warm down. I tried to relax as much as I can, munching down on the apple they gave right after the finish. 




Ratings
Route (Challenging, unique) : 5/5
Organizer (Overall organization of race) : 4/5
Runners welfare (Water station, pre & post race facilities) : 4/5
Goodie bag (Content) : 3.5/5
Race tee (Quality, aesthetics) : 4/5
Medal (Quality, aesthetics) : 4/5
My performance (execution of race plan, finishing time) : No rating

Livestrong, run stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment