Monday, February 29, 2016

A Saturday to remember

When I was in form 4, I went to a boarding school, considered one of the premier boarding school at the time, Maktab Rendah Sains MARA or MRSM in short. There were 11 MRSMs in Malaysia at that time, I went to the one in Jasin, Melaka. Going to a boarding school was some sort of a break from my family for me, as I was somewhat free to play whatever sport I wanted & even play football for my school, something that won't be possible if I'd stayed home. So I played football, ping-pong, sepaktakraw & tennis. I didn't play basketball at that time. 

The alumni of these MRSMs is called Ansara. Ansara is quite an active movement, with regular activities for it's members. This will culminate in an annual dinner. 

Last Saturday there was this sports carnival organized by Ansara. I was asked by one of my friends from Ansara Terendak (also in Melaka), to play basketball for them. As I didn't play basketball when I was in Jasin & it's been quite sometime since I last played tournament basketball, I happily obliged. It was held in German-Malaysian Institute Bangi campus. The only issue was that I had a race that morning, albeit a non-competitive race. My car was blocked by another car & it was a good 20 minutes before the owner came. But luckily I made it before our 1st game. 

 
It was a really, really hot day. & the game was on an outdoor court! We had 4 games to play. My teammates were a lot younger than I was. The atmosphere was festive, right next to the basketball court was the volleyball tournament & a little bit further was the rugby game. Football was played on a different location. For the basketball tourney, only Kuantan had players as old as I was, or maybe much older. I contributed quite a number of points & we won all 4 prelim games & made it to the semis. 


In the semis the team was much younger than us & we were all over the place. In the end we lost by quite a narrow margin. 

Overall it wasn't really that tiring for me, but the heat made it harder. & I was satisfied with the way I played, although there was always room for improvement. I get to taste one of the best burgers from one of the food truck. & I get to meet some old friends, who knew me from my days playing in Sri Hartamas & UKM. I had a great time.



Livestrong, run stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment