Monday, February 15, 2016

2016 Race Preview

It's February & I've only ran a couple of races : The MPI Generali 12k & Melawati 10k. Of course there are more races to come. The unique thing about 2016 is that all the major races like KL Marathon, Penang Bridge & Putrajaya will be after raya (July). Even Seremban is after raya I think. So tht will make it interesting, in planning & preparing for those races. Normally there will be at least 1 major race before the fasting month, KL Marathon is usually in June. Looks like I'ma be running all the majors as a veteran. Here are some of the races I hope to do well this year:

Larian Bomba (May)
This race has a sentimental value to me. This was the 1st race I ran when I decided to get competitive back in 2009. Although it's only 10km, it was made more competitive becoz it doesn't give finishers medal to all finishers. Instead, only the top 100, or more recently, top 150 racers will get a medal. I only get my 1st medal back in 2014, when they started giving out 150 medals. I've ran 54 mins in the past & still failed to get a medal. & I missed this race last year. This year I'ma get top 100. U read it here first.



Standard Chartered KL Marathon (7 August)
This year the race is gonna be on 7th of August. Tht's just a month after raya. I did my PB of 1:58 in HM in this race back in 2012. & last year the race was cancelled due to the haze. Lucky for me as I was injured at the time. This race is only 1 of 2 races in Malaysia with an AIMS-certified course. The other is Penang Bridge Marathon. Considering that my usual prep for any HM is gonna take 10 weeks, I'ma hv to continue serious training in the fasting months, something I've never done before. Well, there's always a first for everything. 

Tht's me in red...


Seremban Half Marathon
No date yet for this race. I've been doing Seremban since 2011. The race has been run on the same exact course every year (& it's always under-distance). Heck, they even gave out the same exact medal for 3 straight years!


I've never really performed well in this race. I was always injured, coming back from an injury or it was just after raya. I think in 2013 this race was just a week after raya! Well, I hope this year I'ma do a sub-2hr here. 

Penang Bridge Marathon (20 November)
I've been doing Penang since 2011. HMs of course. I clocked my 2nd best time in HM here in 2013, 2:00 flat. This year however, I'ma do my 1st full marathon here in Penang, insha Allah. The reason I choose Penang for my virgin FM is that the race starts early, at 3am, so in my target time of 4:30, it shud be still pretty early when I finish. Other races starts pretty late & I've to run proly under the hot sun. Not that it troubles me though, I just thought my virgin FM shud be a wonderful experience. I dun think I'ma switch to FM, it's just sumthing tht I wanna do. 


Putrajaya Night Marathon
I've never really liked night races. But I ran my 1st ever HM during Putrajaya Night Marathon 2010, finishing in 2:35. Come to think of it, I run my LSD in 2:35 these days, hahah. I had a good race here in 2013, clocking 2:02. The course is not certified, but the distance is pretty accurate. I hope they can get certified this year. The race was cancelled last year due to the haze & I didn't run it in 2014. If the conditions are right, proly sumthing interesting will happen here too. 


10K races
I really hope to better my PB in 10K, which stands at 48:30 right now. Depending on the course, I'll be looking for some 10K races early in the season to build up speed. & I'll proly go for the Makswip track & field selection in early April. My PB on the track was 51:20, back in 2012 where I finished 2nd in Pesta Sukan Treasury. I think I can do better this year. 

Livestrong. Run stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment