Sunday, February 21, 2016

Race review : Natura Run for Hope 2016 10K (?)



It's only February & we've already have the candidate for the worst event of the year!

Actually I wasn't supposed to run this event. I didn't even know there was an event in Putrajaya this week, I did register for the Shamrock 10K next week (27/2). But a friend of mine couldn't run it so she gave me her 10K bib. I agreed to take it as I've no event this week. 

The FB page was filled with negative comments right after the race pack collection started. Apparently there wasn't enuff tshirt & the ones that got theirs found that the size was too small. I went to pick up my friend's bib at the Pusat Akuatik Putrajaya on Friday. I was pretty shocked looking at the race pack. For RM65, there wasn't any electronic timing & the shirt was what runners would call tshirt "cap ayam". They did gave a 50g tube of Voltex cream, some sort of analgesic cream.

Pre-race
I really didn't know this event was a non-competitive event (that explains the lack of timing chip) until when I get to the line this morning. My start was supposed to be at 0645. As subuh is a bit late these days, I decided to go to the start earlier & perform my subuh prayers there. I got to the Pusat Akuatik at about 0620 & I immediately went & performed my subuh prayers. After I finished I was quite puzzled that nobody was at the 15K start which was supposed to be at 0630. Then I heard the announcer called for runners to get to the start for the warm up session. I put my shoes on (Mizuno Wave Hitogami 2nd pair) & proceeded with my warm up. The 15K didn't start until about 0650! I finished my warm up & stretching & changed into my race vest. After the 15K crowd went off I went to the start.

Start line
As this was a 10K event, I didn't take anything before the start. I did have some chocolate cake at home before I went off. I couldn't find anybody I know at the start, proly they did the 15K. 

The race

We were flagged off at about 0710. As there was no electronic timing, I went off running on the kerb, so I started off pretty close to the front. My race plan was to do tempo 5:15-5:45 for the first 5K. I managed to hold a pretty high tempo & with a high cadence of 88-90, I was cruising. Right at the 2nd junction came my 1st confusion of the day. I'd studied the course map & we were supposed to turn left at the PICC, but we were directed to the right side. Well I thought I'd read the map in reverse!

We hit the 2nd 5K at the bridge just before MOT. I was running with a couple of guys. One of them was wearing this "Anonymous Runner" tshirt & he kept on taking selfies very frequently. He was also wearing sandals. I was struggling a bit to up the speed in the 2nd 5K as I'd targeted for a negative split. So I just tried to maintain my rhythm.

As we went down Jambatan Seri Gemilang, we were directed to go into Taman Empangan. I thought we will turn right after the bridge. & with this, I hit 10K just under the bridge. & the distance marker indicated there was still 2km to go! By that time I'd known that the race will be OD (over distance). The sandal guy's GPS went off right after mine & I told him we're gonna be OD. He nodded in agreement & began talking to a Kenyan woman right next to us. Well, I think she's Kenyan... She said she only prepared to run 10K & her body had shut down after that. I couldn't agree more. My legs were really hurting by this time & I was really struggling. Mentally I came for 10K, prepped for a 10K. I was about to bonk. But I managed to hang on & hit the finish in 1:05:17, a new 12K PB. 

Post race
The sandal guy earlier told me that the organier sent emails telling runners about the changes in distance & course. Well, as I was running someone else's bib obviously I didn't get the email. There was nothing on the FB either. I was pretty much spent by the time I finished. They gave the medals, which was quite nice. The Lucozade wasn't a cold one & they only gave out 1 cup, so much for sponsorship. I made a few Milo rounds though. The course was good, really, but I really wished I'd prepped better for the new distance. The 12K PB was just a high point among a lots of lows. 

Ratings
Route (Challenging, unique) : 5/5
Organizer (Overall organization of race) : 2/5
Runners welfare (Water station, pre & post race facilities) : 3/5
Goodie bag (Content) : None
Race tee (Quality, aesthetics) : 2/5
Medal (Quality, aesthetics) : 5/5
My performance (execution of race plan, finishing time) : 3.5/5 (10K) 4.5/5 (12K)

No comments:

Post a Comment