Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009, the year in review...

Crash !!!

This is proly the biggest thing that happened to me this year. I mean, it's not like I've never crashed or whatever, I've had some bad ones during my cycling days. In 1995 I crashed head-first during the SportExcel Grand Finals in the final of the 200m match sprint event. It's cost me the 200m sprint title, the closest I've ever been to winning a sprint title, in the last race of my junior year. I lost consciousness for a few minutes, taken to Klang Hospital for x-rays, was released shortly after. I went straight to join the Selangor team in the 1st ever SUKSES (Sukan Selangor), where I rode the 16K scratch race, just 2 days after my crash.

Well, the July 13th crash was entirely different. I experienced proly the most painful moments of my life after my surgery. I spent 10 days in the hospital (I've never been warded before). Spent 2 months at home, the longest ever I've spent doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing. But the crash has certainly give me another perspective in life. But I wanted to forget the crash as soon as possible, & now that I've got myself a new, bigger, faster bike, I've pretty much overcame that terrible experience of crashing...

I'm just glad to be alive.. Alhamdulillah, segala puji tertentu bagi Allah, yang telah memanjangkan umurku, memberiku peluang untuk terus hidup & memperbaiki kelemahan diriku...

Running...

This year I entered my first race in May, Larian Bomba, a 10K race. Since then I've run in 8 other races, including 2 in my ministry's sports carnival. It would've been 10 races, if not for my crash. My running has been affected somewhat by my crash in July, although I got back to training pretty quickly. If I hadn't lost that 2 months, I'd proly be running a low 50's for 10K by now. But then, that crash has given me the opportunity to restart my training & now I'm running with a better technique & 10K is a normal distance for me nowadays. I can run 10K even after work.

So, next year I will start to run in Half Marathon (21K) events. I've never really tried to run 21K, but rest assured I'll prepare myself to run in my 1st half marathon in February, the Putrajaya Night Marathon. I've got about a little over a month to go. Wonder what it's like to run for 2 hrs straight. Normally in my 10K runs, I'd burn around 1500 calories each run, for the 21K it must be double that amount. I'd reckon I'ma lose around 2-3 kg after the half marathon, mostly water of course.

Some ppl wonder why would I put myself, or any other runners for that matter, through all that pain & agony of running for 1-2 hrs ? What do we get out of it ? Now, to answer that, Ur gonna have to do it Urself. I can't tell U how it feels. Maybe there's a lot of ppl who can complete a 10K run, not that many can do 21K, & even fewer can complete a 42K, full marathon. But once U've done it, U will always remember it as something U've achieved in Ur life. Not everybody can say I've run a marathon. For me it's the sheer joy of having completed an objective. That feeling, I can't get it from anywhere.

I wanna keep running for as long as I can. It's the simplest of activity & is one of the most beneficial to Ur health. Just put on Ur shoes, head out the door (or elevator, or fence, or whatever) & run. Of course, in my case, there's the heart rate monitor, the footpod, the calf guard, the MP3 player, the sunglasses to put on... hahah.. Might be difficult at first, but after a few minutes, U'll see what I mean.

Work..

A lot of ppl asked me why haven't I taken any vacation this time of the year. Maybe they've forgotten that I just came back from a 2-month long vacation. So I dun really see the point of taking a vacation.

Before my crash, there was a couple of PSUs in my unit, myself & Ameerah, a new PSU. I had a KPSU who was itching to get out of my unit after just a couple of weeks. So, I had to do almost everything pretty much by myself, assisted by my long-serving EO, Dea. & for almost everything, I reported straight to my KS. Once I returned to active duty, I found myself with a new KPSU & Ameerah had enuff experience already to cover my duties. So for the 1st month after I came back, I had pretty much nothing to do. But I'm grateful that I finally got a KPSU I can work with.

That's all for now. Livestrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment